Men’s Polo Storm to Victory in First Match Back

As dry January came to a close, the Glasgow University Men’s Waterpolo team was itching to get wet again, and their opportunity came in the form of their local rivals Stirling University! Having faced them earlier on in the season, Glasgow had a few new faces in the team. A distinct lack of team practice meant that there was some uncertainty with how they would fair in the new year.

With the first quarter getting underway promptly it took only 20 seconds for nerves to be calmed and order to be restored with the familiar number 7 Robert Slater to kick off proceedings with a finely worked move to blast into the top left hand corner. With the first goal coming quickly Glasgow sought to push their home advantage and this mostly came from the dynamic duo of both Slater and Sean David Kelly. Both taking advantage of the pressing defence Glasgow played and bursting away on the fast break, scoring a further 4 goals between them. Craig Dickson managed to craftily evade his defender to receive a good pass from Soma Molnar to increase the home side’s advantage. With Glasgow looking strong the first quarter ended with Glasgow comfortably leading 6-1.

With the switching of the sides, Glasgow started the second quarter a bit more shakily than they did the first, with Stirling managing to capitalise on a foul outside of 5m to put one past Goalkeeper Romain Ricchi. But this goal proved to be the kick that Glasgow needed as they managed to respond to increase their advantage through Kelly and Slater once again. With Dickson selfishly deciding not to pass with a 3-on-1 chance, he managed to place the ball around the keeper and keep tempers at bay. Soma Molnar also manage to convert on the well worked play that Glasgow had continued to demonstrate off the fast break. Glasgow managed to go in to the half 15-4 to the good.

Knowing that the league may all come down to goal difference, the Tigers had to utilise the full 13 men to their advantage, and use the successful tactic of the fast break to increase the lead. With Slater adding another 5 to his scoring tally, and Kelly also adding a brace, the third quarter saw Nacho Diez grab his first of hopefully many goals to come this season! Stirling were still pushing back, by scoring 4 goals of their own in the quarter. Glasgow, with a full bench of supporters still had a better quarter, going into the last with a lead of 25-8

With the fitness of both teams being called into question in the 4th quarter, it was clear that Stirling having only 10 men would have an effect on the way the final quarter panned out. After scoring quickly with a nifty shot by one of the Stirling Players, that was the last real opportunity they got at trying to close the gap. Glasgow managed to convincingly control the final quarter. With further goals off the fast break by Slater, one particular highlight was a fine finish from Gida Fabian who converted a pin point pass to bury it into the bottom left hand corner, well out of the keepers reach.

The final score ended up being a triumphant 32-9 win for Glasgow! Notable performances go to the fastbreaking of Robert Slater and Sean David Kelly, facilitated by some accurate passing from keeper Romain Ricchi. A special mention goes to debutant Duncan Fraser who defended well and contributed on both sides of the ball! Our next game is away to RGU so look out for the next match report!!

Team Sheet:

  1. Romain Ricchi
  2. Some Molnar (4)
  3. Andrea Benecchi
  4. Gida Fabian (1)
  5. Craig Dickson (2)
  6. Chris Williams
  7. Robert Slater (14)
  8. Nacho Diez (1)
  9. Alex Zegart (1)
  10. Scott Chisholm
  11. James Pulham
  12. Duncan Fraser
  13. Sean David Kelly (10)

Man of the Match: Sean David Kelly